Middle School Director of After Day Program (Part-time)
The Park School seeks to hire a Middle School Director of After Day. This is a part-time position. Under direct supervision of the Middle School Principal, this position directs our After Day Program, coordinating the supervision of students who remain on campus between 3:15–6 p.m. from August to June.
The Director will supervise a team of three or four monitors, who will likely be Upper School students and should have experience working with adolescents, be mature and confident, able to set limits, and willing to listen. The Director must be organized and able to keep track of the students. Students are supervised in a common space, a library, and an indoor gym space. The Director will encourage positive behavior and good study habits, and will be a stable influence on the students.
Devoted to intellectual inquiry, a collaborative spirit of learning, and an appreciation for the diversity of human experience, The Park School of Baltimore is a community founded on positive expectations of our students and respect for individual differences.
We cultivate children’s innate curiosity by nurturing their interests and engaging them as active participants in their own education.
We support young people in becoming confident questioners and responsible citizens of the world.
The Park School is a non-sectarian, independent, coeducational day school of 845 students from Pre-Kindergarten through Grade 12. Founded in 1912 as one of the early progressive schools, The Park School continues to practice a distinct educational philosophy. The core values today, as in 1912, are a belief in children’s capacity to love learning, to grow academically and emotionally when inspired by highly qualified, caring teachers, and to develop self-discipline, confidence, and creative problem-solving skills through deep exploration and constant challenge. At every grade level, from Pre-Kindergarten through Upper School, Park actively encourages questioning and conversation as essential elements of the learning process. The school philosophy emphasizes a belief in positive expectations and expects that students, as they mature, will take increasing responsibility for their own learning.
Available every school day from 3–6 p.m., Monday through Friday; this is a part time position
- Creative in coming up with activity options for kids
- Able to establish and maintain a safe and structured environment
- Organized, able to manage check-in and check-out of all students, keep track of scheduling and hourly time sheets for other monitors
- Able to manage the scheduling of other monitors
- Solves student-related issues as they arise
- Be familiar with The Park School Philosophy
- NOTE: Applicants must be available to work during all days that Park School is in session
- Other duties may be requested or assigned.
Please note: The School requires immunization against COVID-19 subject to applicable medical or religious exemptions under state and federal law. If an exemption is requested, the School will determine whether reasonable accommodations are available in accordance with applicable law.
Education and Experience
- High School Diploma or GED equivalent
- Bachelor’s degree and/or equivalent experience
- Experience supervising early adolescents (ages 10-15)
Job Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Self-starter, creative thinker
- Responsive, positive, and attentive to parent, teacher, and student concerns
- Excellent communication skills (writing, listening, speaking with kids, faculty, administrators, parents)
- Excellent organizational skills and the ability to work independently
- Maintain professionalism
- Required to remain stationary for long periods of time.
- Able to swiftly move through the hallways to monitor students
- Some light physical effort required
Work Hours and Days
- 10-month schedule, mid-August to mid-June
- Monday through Friday when school is in session from 3 – 6 p.m.
This position will supervise three or four monitors (Upper School students)
PAY AND BENEFITS
Priscilla Morales, Associate Head of School
The Park School
2425 Old Court Road
Baltimore, MD 21208
The Park School of Baltimore does not discriminate against employees or applicants for employment on the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin, religion, ancestry, gender, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, or any physical or mental disability unrelated to a reasonable performance of an employee’s duties.
Please note: Park School currently requires proof of COVID-19 vaccination, subject to legally required exemptions, as a condition of employment.