The Park School of Baltimore has an opening for a Groundskeeper. Under the direct supervision of the Director of Groundskeeping, this position provides primary care to all grounds and outside equipment maintenance by assisting in the maintenance of athletic fields, campus common areas, landscape beds, equipment, and shop areas. This is a non-exempt, 12-month position with the following hours: Monday-Friday from 5:30 a.m. to 2 p.m., 6:30 a.m. to 3 p.m., or 9 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Occasional weekend work and an on-call rotation on a regularly assigned basis are required.
Devoted to intellectual inquiry, a collaborative spirit of learning, and an appreciation for the diversity of human experience, The Park School of Baltimore is a community founded on positive expectations of our students and respect for individual differences.
We cultivate children’s innate curiosity by nurturing their interests and engaging them as active participants in their own education.
We support young people in becoming confident questioners and responsible citizens of the world.
The Park School is a non-sectarian, independent, coeducational day school of 856 students from Pre-Kindergarten through Grade 12. Founded in 1912 as one of the early progressive schools, The Park School continues to practice a distinct educational philosophy. The core values today, as in 1912, are a belief in children’s capacity to love learning, to grow academically and emotionally when inspired by highly qualified, caring teachers, and to develop self-discipline, confidence, and creative problem-solving skills through deep exploration and constant challenge. At every grade level, from Pre-Kindergarten through Upper School, Park actively encourages questioning and conversation as essential elements of the learning process. The school philosophy emphasizes a belief in positive expectations and expects that students, as they mature, will take increasing responsibility for their own learning.
- Ability to move the goals of the institution forward
- Orientation to a progressive philosophy
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills in a variety of contexts
- Demonstrated experience and/or openness with technology that support current best practices
- Demonstrated experience and/or openness to cultural competency work
Athletic Field Maintenance:
Sports programs include baseball, softball, lacrosse, soccer, and field hockey
- Assists in planning, supervising, and executing athletic field layout
- Maintain and renovate natural grass and synthetic field surfaces
- Participate in grass field maintenance program planning and application
- Assist in field renovations including sod, aeration, and over-seeding
- Participate in maintenance of synthetic turf including grooming, cleaning, monitoring, and repairs
- Maintain landscape beds and common areas
- Keep the campus aesthetically pleasing and safe
- Assist in tree removal, ornamental landscape care, and maintenance
- Operate and maintain grounds equipment and vehicles
- Maintain a neat and organized shop
- Provide on call duties for snow and ice removal
- Assist in event set-up and breakdown
- Drive an A.M. or P.M. school bus route and at other times as needed
- Other duties may be requested or assigned
Education and Experience:
- High School Education or equivalent
- Experience in landscaping
- Experience with sports turf
- Experience with grass turf irrigation
- Ability to read blueprints or field layouts
Job Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Ability to safely operate and maintain variety of groundskeeping equipment, including: tractors, utility vehicles, sprayers, spreaders, aerators, chainsaws, trimmers, and blowers
- Ability to operate and maintain all snow removal equipment to include: snow plow and snow blowers, and execute ice melt applications
- Knowledge of building construction, including but not limited to, playground surfaces and equipment, roadways, fencing and walls, and outdoor furniture
- General knowledge of landscaping, including a variety of grasses, trees, flowers, and shrubs
- Must know how to schedule and formulate project planning
- Must know how to handle emergencies
- Must know how to order, research, and purchase parts and materials
- Must be able to work outside in all types of seasonal weather
- Must be able to lift 50 lbs
SALARY AND BENEFITS
Competitive pay and benefits
HOW TO APPLY
Interested candidates must apply by submitting a résumé and an application to:
The Park School
2425 Old Court Road
Baltimore, MD 21208
References may be requested after the application has been submitted.
The Park School of Baltimore does not discriminate against employees or applicants for employment on the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin, religion, ancestry, gender, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, or any physical or mental disability unrelated to a reasonable performance of an employee’s duties.
Please note: Park School currently requires proof of COVID-19 vaccination, subject to legally required exemptions, as a condition of employment.