The Park School of Baltimore has an opening for a Grounds Person. Under the direct supervision of the Head Grounds Manager and Director of Facilities, this position provides primary care to all grounds and outside equipment maintenance by assisting in the maintenance of athletic fields, campus common areas, landscape beds, equipment, and shop areas. This is a non-exempt, 12-month position with the following hours: Monday-Friday from 6:30 a.m. – 3 p.m. and alternating Saturdays.
Devoted to intellectual inquiry, a collaborative spirit of learning, and an appreciation for the diversity of human experience, The Park School of Baltimore is a community founded on positive expectations of our students and respect for individual differences.
We cultivate children’s innate curiosity by nurturing their interests and engaging them as active participants in their own education.
We support young people in becoming confident questioners and responsible citizens of the world.
The Park School is a non-sectarian, independent, coeducational day school of 845 students from Pre-Kindergarten through Grade 12. Founded in 1912 as one of the early progressive schools, The Park School continues to practice a distinct educational philosophy. The core values today, as in 1912, are a belief in children’s capacity to love learning, to grow academically and emotionally when inspired by highly qualified, caring teachers, and to develop self-discipline, confidence, and creative problem-solving skills through deep exploration and constant challenge. At every grade level, from Pre-Kindergarten through Upper School, Park actively encourages questioning and conversation as essential elements of the learning process. The school philosophy emphasizes a belief in positive expectations and expects that students, as they mature, will take increasing responsibility for their own learning.
- Ability to move the goals of the institution forward
- Orientation to a progressive philosophy
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills in a variety of contexts
- Demonstrated experience and/or openness with technology that support current best practices
- Demonstrated experience and/or openness to cultural competency work
Sports Turf Maintenance
Sports programs include baseball, softball, lacrosse, soccer, and field hockey
- Assists in planning, supervising, and executing athletic field layout
- Maintain and renovate natural grass and synthetic field surfaces
- Participate in turf program planning and application including fertilization, pest control, bio stimulants, aeration, and over-seeding
- Develop, plan, and carry out duties pertaining to Integrated Pest Management. Identify and find solutions for turf pests.
- Assist in field renovations including sod and irrigation
- Maintain landscape beds and common area turf
- Keep the campus aesthetically pleasing and safe
- Assist in tree removal, ornamental landscape care, and maintenance
- Operate and maintain grounds equipment and vehicles
- Maintain a neat and organized shop
- Provide on call duties for snow and ice removal
- Assist in event set-up and breakdown
- Drive an A.M. or P.M. school bus route and at other times as needed
- Other duties may be requested or assigned
Education and Experience
- High School Education or equivalent
- Experience in landscaping
- Experience with sports turf
- Experience with grass turf irrigation
- Ability to read blueprints or field layouts
Job Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Ability to safely operate and maintain variety of grounds keeping equipment including: tractors, utility vehicles, sprayers, spreaders, aerators, chainsaws, trimmers, and blowers
- Ability to operate and maintain all snow removal equipment to include: snow plow and snow blowers, and execute ice melt applications
- Knowledge of building construction including but not limited to playground surfaces and equipment, roadways, fencing and walls, and outdoor furniture
- General knowledge of landscaping including a variety of grasses, trees, flowers, and shrubs
- Must have solid mechanical skills to make equipment repairs
- Must know how to schedule and formulate project planning
- Must know how to handle emergencies
- Must know how to order, research, and purchase parts and materials
- Must be able to work outside in all types of seasonal weather
- Must be able to lift 50 lbs
Competitive pay and benefits
Send cover letter, résumé, and completed application (from website: https://www.parkschool.net/about/employment/)
Email (preferred) firstname.lastname@example.org
2425 Old Court Road
Baltimore, MD 21208
The Park School of Baltimore does not discriminate against employees or applicants for employment on the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin, religion, ancestry, gender, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, or any physical or mental disability unrelated to a reasonable performance of an employee’s duties.
Please note: Park School currently requires proof of COVID-19 vaccination, subject to legally required exemptions, as a condition of employment.