Database Manager and Web Technician
The Park School of Baltimore seeks a full-time, 12 month, Database Manager and Web Technician. The Database Manager and Web Technician is a non-exempt position responsible for major projects of the database information systems, maintaining the school’s website, and other digital systems. In addition, the Database Manager and Web Technician provides leadership and direction with regard to web/database security policies.
Devoted to intellectual inquiry, a collaborative spirit of learning, and an appreciation for the diversity of human experience, The Park School of Baltimore is a community founded on positive expectations of our students and respect for individual differences.
We cultivate children’s innate curiosity by nurturing their interests and engaging them as active participants in their own education.
We support young people in becoming confident questioners and responsible citizens of the world.
The Park School is a non-sectarian, independent, coeducational day school of 845 students from Pre-Kindergarten through Grade 12. Founded in 1912 as one of the early progressive schools, The Park School continues to practice a distinct educational philosophy. The core values today, as in 1912, are a belief in children’s capacity to love learning, to grow academically and emotionally when inspired by highly qualified, caring teachers, and to develop self-discipline, confidence, and creative problem-solving skills through deep exploration and constant challenge. At every grade level, from Pre-Kindergarten through Upper School, Park actively encourages questioning and conversation as essential elements of the learning process. The school philosophy emphasizes a belief in positive expectations and expects that students, as they mature, will take increasing responsibility for their own learning.
This position assures the quality of content in the various systems and oversees the integrations between the systems as well as utilization by constituent groups. The Database Manager and Web Technician is a project manager and contact between vendors (including the school’s database vendor(s), data security service, and web- and database-driven services), and various departments (IT, academic divisions, Development, Admission, Business Office, Front Office, Park Camps, etc.) at the school. The position reports to the Director of Information Technology and Information Services and to the Director of Communications and Marketing.
EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Experience with an enterprise level database — student information system is preferred (knowledge of Veracross is a plus)
- Working knowledge of web and database programming languages and management systems
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills
- Strong prioritization skills
- Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines
- Ability to work independently
- Attention to detail
- Familiarity with database design (APIs is a plus)
- Experience with web-based applications
- Working knowledge of web standards, including security standards
- Demonstrated ability to learn new technologies rapidly
- Experience working in a school environment is a plus
DATABASE ADMINISTRATION AND MANAGEMENT
- Project Management of major database enhancements and module implementations
- Communicate between vendor(s) and common stakeholder(s) about configuration adjustments or enhancements, the status of ongoing project deadlines, budgets, and scope
- Communicate with internal stakeholders regarding process and best practices
- Management of budgets and approvals for enhancements and configuration changes
- Work with various departments to pull relevant data from different databases as needed
- Troubleshoot issues as they arise
- Communicate with Director of IT and Information Services regarding vendor contract terms and fulfillment of contractual obligations
TRAINING AND SUPPORT
- Coordinate support of systems for employees and parents
- Oversee the creation and regular updating of documentation
- Respond to inquiries from various constituents (employees, parents, students, alumni, etc.)
- Identify and train staff to back up essential functions
- Provide training (in-person and documentation) to faculty and staff when needed regarding the function and use of the school’s website and various databases
- Primary manager of integration between database and website
- Monitor website’s backups
- Keep website plugins up to date and functioning
- Keep staging and production sites synced and running
- Oversee user accounts/access to the website content management system
- Produce web content including but not limited to writing and photography, as needed
- Serve as a liaison with external developers and designers, when applicable
DATA ADMINISTRATION AND MANAGEMENT
- Implement practices to maintain accurate information within the system(s)
- Maintain user profiles and security settings
- Inform school information policies and procedures in accordance to changes to process and the student information system
- Work with other internal database managers (e.g. in Admission, Development, Library) to ensure consistency and accuracy among the various systems, providing guidance and expertise for standards and best practices
DATABASE ADMINISTRATOR TASKS
- Provide direction/assistance to the Admission Office regarding database settings, communications workflow, and online applications
- Provide direction/assistance to the Health Services team regarding data management and information access for the online health record system
- Provide direction/assistance to the Park Camps team regarding online registration, implementation, and system support
- Provide direction/assistance to the Lower School regarding the extended day database management/implementation
- Implement online payment/registration/ticketing systems as needed for various departments
- Oversee and implement Park School’s online re-enrollment and enrollment processes
In addition, this position will be required to provide general support for the Communications office and IT help desk support when needed.
The Park School Database Manager and Web Technician will be called upon to provide creative solutions to intriguing and diverse challenges throughout each year. This position may require some early morning, evening, and weekend work.
SALARY AND BENEFITS
Park wages and benefits are highly competitive with those in other leading independent schools.
In addition to normal retirement and health benefits, the school offers the following distinctive program:
- Tuition Remission: Under current policy, faculty and staff who have been employed at Park full-time for two years are eligible to receive full tuition remission for their children who attend Park. All candidates, including faculty children, must meet Park’s standards for admission. (During the first two years of employment, faculty may apply for aid through the need-based tuition assistance program.)
Due to the large volume of incoming résumés, we cannot accept phone calls. Interested candidates are asked to send a letter of interest, résumé, and list of references via email or US mail.
The Park School
2425 Old Court Road
Baltimore, MD 21208
The Park School of Baltimore does not discriminate against employees or applicants for employment on the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin, religion, ancestry, gender, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, or any physical or mental disability unrelated to a reasonable performance of an employee’s duties.
Please note: Park School currently requires proof of COVID-19 vaccination, subject to legally required exemptions, as a condition of employment.