Maintenance Support/Bus Driver
The Park School of Baltimore has an opening for a Maintenance Support/Bus Driver. Under the direct supervision of the Director of Facilities, this position provides support of school activities and is responsible for general maintenance. This is a 12 month, non-exempt position with the following hours: Monday-Friday, 6:00 am to 2:30 pm, with some flexibility.
Devoted to intellectual inquiry, a collaborative spirit of learning, and an appreciation for the diversity of human experience, The Park School of Baltimore is a community founded on positive expectations of our students and respect for individual differences.
We cultivate children’s innate curiosity by nurturing their interests and engaging them as active participants in their own education.
We support young people in becoming confident questioners and responsible citizens of the world.
The Park School is a non-sectarian, independent, coeducational day school of 845 students from Pre-Kindergarten through Grade 12. Founded in 1912 as one of the early progressive schools, The Park School continues to practice a distinct educational philosophy. The core values today, as in 1912, are a belief in children’s capacity to love learning, to grow academically and emotionally when inspired by highly qualified, caring teachers, and to develop self-discipline, confidence, and creative problem-solving skills through deep exploration and constant challenge. At every grade level, from Pre-Kindergarten through Upper School, Park actively encourages questioning and conversation as essential elements of the learning process. The school philosophy emphasizes a belief in positive expectations and expects that students, as they mature, will take increasing responsibility for their own learning.
- Ability to move the goals of the institution forward
- Orientation to a progressive philosophy
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills in a variety of contexts
- Demonstrated experience and/or openness with technology that support current best practices
- Demonstrated experience and/or openness to cultural competency work
- Assists with traffic control when assigned
- Drives an A.M. school bus route and at other times as needed
- Performs necessary and preventative maintenance on facilities and equipment
- Demonstrates a working knowledge of the building trades, including basic carpentry, plumbing and electrical skills
- Assists in set-up and break-down of special events
- Arrives on campus early or outside of regularly scheduled hours to assist with weather related preparations and clean-up
- Demonstrates a high level of organization, and an ability to handle multiple ongoing projects
- Demonstrates an ability to follow written and verbal instructions
- Conducts monthly preventative maintenance inspections
- Completes assigned work orders
- Promotes high standards in safety and work methods
- Drives established school bus routes, school field trips, and athletic trips
- Provides support to other groups as needed to include, but not limited to: grounds, maintenance, and custodial staff
- Performs other duties as needed
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the characteristics needed for employment with the school.
- Must be able to communicate effectively, work unsupervised and make safe and responsible decisions
- Ability to work within a team with a strong customer service orientation and positive relationship building skills
- Eager to learn new skills and systems
- DOT Physical and drug screen
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
A minimum of 3 years’ experience in a similar position or building trade is required. High school diploma or equivalent. Ability to read and understand documents such as safety rules and operating manuals. Ability to write routine reports.
CERTIFICATES AND/OR LICENSES
Must have an acceptable driving record and current auto insurance. Must be willing to obtain a Maryland Class C Commercial Driver’s License with P & S endorsements. The school will pay for and otherwise support the employee in obtaining this license.
Please note: Park School currently requires proof of COVID-19 vaccination, subject to legally required exemptions, as a condition of employment.
WORK HOURS AND DAYS
- Monday through Friday, 6:00 am to 2:30 pm, with some flexibility
- Drive an A.M. school bus route, and at other times as needed
- Occasional evening shifts or weekends for special events
- On-call rotation on a regularly assigned basis; responding to after-hour alarm calls when necessary
Requires frequent intervals of considerable physical effort including lifting, carrying, and pushing of heavy equipment and materials ; requires frequent bending, stooping and crouching. Must be able to identify, observe, and estimate various objects from close and far distances. Requires working in all weather conditions.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
Park’s pay rates and benefits are highly competitive with those in other leading independent schools.
In addition to normal retirement and health benefits for full-time employees, the school offers the following distinctive program:
Under current policy, employees who have been at Park full-time for two years are eligible to receive full tuition remission for their children who attend Park. All candidates, including employee children, must meet Park’s standards for admission. (During the first two years of employment, faculty may apply for aid through the need-based financial assistance program.)
Send cover letter, resume, and completed application (from website: https://www.parkschool.net/about/employment/)
Email (preferred) firstname.lastname@example.org
Mail: 2425 Old Court Road, Baltimore, MD 21208
The Park School does not discriminate against employees or applicants for employment on the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin, religion, ancestry, gender, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, or any physical or mental disability unrelated to a reasonable performance of an employee’s duties.
The Park School of Baltimore does not discriminate against employees or applicants for employment on the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin, religion, ancestry, gender, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, or any physical or mental disability unrelated to a reasonable performance of an employee’s duties.